Your local GP surgery provides a range of services, including general medical advice and treatment for illnesses or injuries that just won’t go away.
Your local GP surgery provides a wide range of family health services, including:
- advice on health problems,
- examinations and treatment,
- prescriptions for medicines, and
- referrals to other health services and social services.
- Screening Management of long term conditions preventative care
Four easy steps to register with a doctor/GP
1. You can find your nearest GP practice by postcode via the NHS Choices website or by calling 0300 200 0017.
2. If you need to decide between practices, contact the telephone number above and ask for a copy of their practice booklet or visit the GP section of NHS Choices for information.
3. Visit the practice of your choice, if they are accepting new patients, with your medical card to complete a registration form. It is helpful if you have your NHS number when you register at the surgery. Please use the following link for more information on how to find your NHS number.
4. Once the practice has agreed to register you as a patient, you will be offered an appointment for a new patient medical assessment with either the GP or nurse.
If you require urgent medical attention when your GP surgery is closed, call NHS 111 by telephoning 111. For more information, visit the 111 section on our website.
More information from NHS Choices