Who can help when you are not feeling well

Feeling unwell?
Often people go to A&E or call 999 when they should seek help elsewhere. The CCG want to help you make the right decision on where to go when you're ill or worried about a loved one. Find out more about the many different NHS services available.

NHS 111

NHS 111 is a new service that's being introduced to make it easier for you to access local NHS healthcare services in England. You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time.

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. 

Self care - common sense and plenty of rest

Self care at home is usually the best option for common complaints such as coughs, colds and stomach upsets. Check your symptoms online and receive self care advice to look after yourself with confidence. More about first aid and self care.

You can also take a look at the simple step-by-step guide on Managing your Infection.

Pharmacy - expert advice without an appointment

Your local pharmacist can give you friendly, expert advice about over-the-counter medicines that can help with lots of common conditions. Find your nearest pharmacy now.

GP surgery - when you have a complaint that won't go away

Your doctor and practice nurses offer advice and assessment, and a range of routine healthcare services by appointment. If you aren’t registered with a GP, find your nearest surgery now.

Walk-in centres - for sprains, minor burns, broken bones...

Choose walk-in centres, minor injury units and urgent care centres when you have a health problem that isn’t a 999 emergency. You don’t need an appointment to visit and you'll be seen in priority order by a doctor or experienced nurse. Find your nearest urgent care centre.

A&E and 999 - for serious injury and illness only

Accident and emergency (A&E) and the 999 ambulance service should only be used in a life-threatening or critical situation. You should only call 999 for an ambulance in a real emergency. A&E can get very busy and you may have to wait a long time to be seen if you are not a real emergency.


Send feedback about this page
© Coventry and Rugby Clinical Commissioning Group
Facebook Facebook
Parkside House, Quinton Road, Coventry CV1 2NJ
  • Telephone: 02476 553344